I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I am crucified with Christ
- As part of His body, he being the head
- This is something already done
- We do not need to crucify ourselves again.
- His work is done, we have been crucified with Him
- Do not try to live the crucified life
Nevertheless I live
- This crucifixion has made me dead to one that I may live unto God
- So, since I am crucified, I can live.
- I do live.
- I must live.
Yet not I
- I have no power of mine own.
Christ liveth in me
- As physical life needs air and nourishment
- Spiritual life needs the Spirit of Christ and the Word of Christ
- I live not a crucified life, but a resurrected life.
- I live a glorious life.
- I live a spiritual life.
- I live Christ’s life.
The life I live in the flesh
- This is the life everyone sees.
- All live life in the flesh
- Church on Sunday, Thursday, etc.
- Work on Monday-Friday
- Ministry on Saturday
- Housecleaning, Providing, Ministering, Giving, Worshipping, all is done in the flesh.
I live by the faith of the Son of God
- Spiritual Christians do all this by faith.
- Not just a “Sunday-go-to-meetin’-Christian”
- Faith is not for Sunday only.
- Faith is not for devotions only.
- Faith is not for the spiritual part of your life only.
- The life of the flesh is lived by the faith of the Son of God
- Faith is for the mill, the body shop, the office, the classroom, the bedroom, the kitchen, the living room, the family room, the car, the business, the laundromat, the grocery store…
- Faith is for everywhere, all the time.
Who loved me, and gave Himself for me.
- Very likely that Paul was present at the crucifixion.
- Excited “college student” with plenty of cruel mockings for the Savior
- “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do”
- Love is always demonstrated by giving
You can hear this in the context of a sermon our church website.