The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see.
O LORD, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save! Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention. Therefore the law is slacked, and judgment doth never go forth: for the wicked doth compass about the righteous; therefore wrong judgment proceedeth.
Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvellously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you. For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwelling places that are not theirs. They are terrible and dreadful: their judgment and their dignity shall proceed of themselves. Their horses also are swifter than the leopards, and are more fierce than the evening wolves: and their horsemen shall spread themselves, and their horsemen shall come from far; they shall fly as the eagle that hasteth to eat. They shall come all for violence: their faces shall sup up as the east wind, and they shall gather the captivity as the sand. And they shall scoff at the kings, and the princes shall be a scorn unto them: they shall deride every strong hold; for they shall heap dust, and take it. Then shall his mind change, and he shall pass over, and offend, imputing this his power unto his god.
- Habakkuk’s distress
- Violence, iniquity, spoiling,strive, contention, slacked law, wicked and righteous, wrong judgment
- Describes both world and churches
- Help for us personally also Habakkuk’s view
- Various attacks on God, Scripture- science, history, philosophy, etc.
- God’s ways are mysterious?
- Inaction- lets things go, couldn’t he prevent apostasy
- Action uses unexpected people and things- homosexuals, others “suffering precedes glory”
- Israel- trip/millenium
- God’s ways are right!
- Vs. 6 – GOD is doing it (Rom.13:1)
- God has always been doing it
- Creation, Babel, all of history , Christians
- God is sinning history to His desired end
- The glorification of Himself and His kingdom
When perplexed check your view is it kingdom view?